Christus Victor is a member of the Delaware-Maryland Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). You can learn more about our Lutheran Church and what we believe by visiting What Lutherans Believe.
Our Mission Statement
To unite in Christ
To grow in faith
To serve in love
To share the Good News
In May of 1957 the Rev. Paul T. Manrodt began his work as a mission developer in the Carney area and by September 8th of that year the first worship service of the “Cub Hill Lutheran Mission” was held in the basement of the Carney Building and Loan at Harford and Joppa Roads. By April of the following year the mission was successful and on April 27th, 1958 the church was officially formed on Organization Sunday with 88 charter members attending. By June of that same year Christus Victor called on Rev. Manrodt to be its first pastor. On June 11th, 1958 the congregation purchased the Parsonage on Flagstone Drive in Cub Hill and in July the first service was held in the “House Chapel” on the farmhouse property purchased by the congregation at 9833 Harford Rd.
In May of 1959 the first building fund program was started and by 1962 the funds had been raised to build the first church building and the groundbreaking service was conducted on May 6th. Finally the new church was complete and the first service was held on October 28th, 1962. In April of 1967 Pastor Lawrence S. Cameron began his pastorate at Christus Victor and stayed with the congregation 12 years until the arrival of pastor Rev. Ronald E. Reeves on February 3rd, 1980. In January of 1984 Pastor Kenneth H. Homer began his pastorate at Christus Victor and later that same year in September the new Fellowship Hall building was complete and dedicated. Christus Victor was expanding. On October 12th, 1986 the new Wicks pipe organ was dedicated and still remains in use today.
The congregation continued to grow in the late 80’s and early 90’s and it became obvious that Christus Victor was outgrowing its existing worship space. So, after a successful building fund program and some generous bequests willed to the congregation, groundbreaking for the present church building was celebrated on March 20th of 1984, quickly followed by the laying of the cornerstone on September 19th. The first worship service in the present church was held on November 13, 1994; followed by the dedication of the new church on April 23rd, 1995 and was presided over by Bishop George Mocko and attended by all past pastors of Christus Victor.
In 1999 the new building for Victor’s Vittles (our neighborhood food pantry) was complete and it was officially opened to the public on June 6th of that year.
On January 31st, 2000 Rev. Joseph E. Skillman, Jr. became the new and current pastor for Christus Victor.
Christus Victor's Pastors
Our facilities are divided into three main areas, the original building completed in 1962, which now houses our offices and Sunday School wing; the Fellowship Hall which was completed in 1984; and our current worship building (church) which was completed in 1995. Our current worship building also contains our church parlor and nursery.